Re: [gnugo-devel] fyi, new home for gnugo.el

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] fyi, new home for gnugo.el
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:43:07 -0700

Douglas wrote:

> > We hope a version of Thi's emacs.el will be in 3.6. There's
> > a few problems of this type, functions like delete-dup and
> > subtract-time that are not in everybody's emacs, and
> > maybe we have to add puthash.
> >
> > What version of emacs are you running?
>
> 20.7.1.

Browsing in the CVS, puthash was added to the emacs
cvs in July 1999, around the time of emacs 20.4.
I'm not sure then why it wouldn't be in 20.7.1. In
any case, your emacs is four years old, maybe it's
time to upgrade.

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/src/fns.c.diff?r1=1.203&r2=1.204

Thi is working on his emacs.el. I would give the following
instructions for running it. You need

gnugo.el
gnugo-xpms.el

You can find versions at

http://sporadic.stanford.edu/bump/gnugo.el
http://sporadic.stanford.edu/bump/gnugo-xpms.el

This gnugo.el includes a patch Thi sent last
night that fixes some portability and display
problems that you might have if you use the version
from glug.org and your emacs is 21.x.

You can load the files by typing

M-x load-file RET [path to gnugo.el] RET
M-x load-file RET [path to gnugo-xpms.el] RET

Then try M-x gnugo.  You will be prompted and you can add
(for example) --handicap 9 --color white.

You will get the ascii board but type i and magically
you will get a beautiful board color board and you can
play with the mouse or cursor keys as you prefer.

Dan