[gnugo-devel] Windows on desktops and Pocket PCs

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Windows on desktops and Pocket PCs
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:52:50 +0200

If you remember, we had mails from Vadim Lyakhovsky who ported
GNU Go to Pocket PC (with Windows CE.)  This was the reason I
implemented socket support in GNU Go: there are no pipes on
Pocket PC, so we planned to extend socket support to Windows
and allow him to compile GNU Go with no or less changes.

Recently he got time for it again.  From his tests he concluded
that the current method of socket support in GNU Go cannot be
ported to Windows, neither Pocket PC nor even desktop versions.
He claims that it is impossible to access sockets using normal
stream IO functions (fputs(), fgets(), printf() and the like.)

So he proposed that we completely replace those functions in
GNU Go to something like gg_fputs() etc.  On POSIX systems,
those could just be #define'd to standard functions and on
Windows they would either call standard functions or socket
functions for reading/writing.

This would be a more or less trivial change, but really huge
(affecting many files and in a terrible number of place.)  Will
we go at it or should I just say "Sorry" to him?

Paul