Re: [gnugo-devel] A New Programmer

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] A New Programmer
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:45:11 +0200

Todd Blackman wrote:
> Hi.

> I'm interested in possibly helping Gnugo after I get up to speed
> on the code.

GNU Go, please.

> I wrote an academic go program for my Masters thesis
> that was multi-threaded and used a multi-agent approach along with a
> genetic algorithm.  Basically each agent generated a score for each
> location on the board, and the evolved weights (from the GA) were used
> to perform a weighted sum of all of the agents' boards (sort of like a
> multi-layer neural network).  I think I might be able to use my
> experience to help make gnugo thread-safe and possibly distributed
> across multiple processors and/or computers.  I haven't even finished
> reading all of the documentation yet, so I don't know how easy any of
> this might be.

Basically, it's going to be very difficult.  Or at least touch a huge
number of functions, because GNU Go constantly uses global variables.
Maybe most of the changes would be more or less routine, but they are
going to be _really_ many.

That's of course not to discourage you.  Just be warned, it's not
anywhere a simple task.

> I'll send another email when I'm ready to contribute something more.

You will need to assign copyright on your changes to Free Software
Foundation.  Are you willing to do this?

Paul