Re: [gnugo-devel] 3.4 vs 3.6 against MFG

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 3.4 vs 3.6 against MFG
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:33:58 -0800

> Our testing is showing us that 3.6 is much stronger than what I had
> been led to believe was the relative strength between GNU Go and MFG.
>
> I had thought that GG 3.4 was perhaps 2 stones weaker than MFG,
> although we never have tested that. We just ran two sets of games
> between 3.6 level 10 and MFG level 10 and found:
>
> 28 games handicap 0 (MFG playing white)
> 1 W MFG
> 27 B GG
>
> 52 games handicap 5 (GNU Go playing white)
> 23 W GG
> 29 B MFG

I don't believe GNU Go has ever won a tournament game
against MFG, and I would be surprised if it has caught
up. Your results seem to show GNU Go stronger and that
seems unlikely.

On the other hand GNU Go 3.6 does feel a lot stronger
to me -- subjectively. It doesn't whomp 3.4 but it
can sometimes beat me in a 9 stone game, which I
don't think 3.4 could. It is strong enough to be
an interesting opponent sometimes, which is not
true of 3.4.

Could you post a few of the games?

Dan