Re: [gnugo-devel] multi-board branch

From: Jens Yllman
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] multi-board branch
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:27:28 +0200

I don't think it is to much. But it all depends on what we want with GNU Go. Is it still very important to be able to run on very low end machines? PDA and mobile phones is low end machines. Or do we want to expend the GNU Go platform to enable new thinking and new technics to solve problems? My mind is more set on finding new ways to solve the go problem. But I still think it is important that it performs ok on normal desktop machines. I have 3-4 year old desktop machines at home and GNU Go plays much faster then I do. So for me the increase is ok.

Jens

At 17:48 2005-04-28, you wrote:
Arend wrote:

> > > Which CPU, compiler? I may try to run some tests myself.
> >
> > Athlon XP 2500+, GCC 3.2.
>
> On my Pentium M with GCC 3.4, I get about 7-8% performance penalty.

So what do people think about this?  Is it too much?

Paul