Re: [gnugo-devel] Building GNU go - have I done it?

From: Marco Scheurer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Building GNU go - have I done it?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:35:53 +0200

On Jun 27, 2005, at 04:12, Lou Cohen wrote:

Dear GNU developers,

Many thanks for making a go-playing program available as open source
software. I learned about GNU go by running gGo, which provides an option to interface to GNU go. Of course I had not downloaded GNU go so I went to your website and downloaded the sources. Hmmmm, sources, not a binary! well, what do I know? I'll give it a try. I've never built a program on my Mac before,
but maybe I can figure it out.

To make a long story short, I don't actually know if I've succeeded.

Below is the very long output that I got when I typed ./configure; make.

I didn't dare run as wheel, I've never done it, so I figured perhaps I could
make the executable file and point gGo to it.

My question is: have I succeeded?

I think so.

When gGo asks me "where is GNU go", what
do I tell it?

It's in the interface folder, but you can take it and move it elsewhere. Another Terminal command that you can run after "configure" and "make" is:

cd interface
strip gnugo

This will remove unnecessary symbols from the file and reduce its size.

marco

Marco Scheurer
Sen:te, Lausanne, Switzerland   http://www.sente.ch