Re: [gnugo-devel] influence and territory values

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] influence and territory values
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 23:36:25 +0200

David wrote:
> >> These are just short names for:
> >>
> >>      influence4black = influence_score(INITIAL_INFLUENCE( BLACK ));
> >>      territory4black = influence_evaluate_position( BLACK, NULL,
> >> &status );
> >>      influence4white = influence_score(INITIAL_INFLUENCE( WHITE ));
> >>      territory4white = influence_evaluate_position( WHITE, NULL,
> >> &status );
> >>
> >> calculated directly from the functions in engine/influence.c
>
> [...]
>
> Note that the different returned values were for Influence, not
> territory values, but yes. Those two sequences were sent to 2
> different CPUs, and the values returned were different.

Well, the implementation in GNU Go 3.6 of influence_score() is

float
influence_score(const struct influence_data *q)
{
  float score = 0.0;
  int ii;

  for (ii = BOARDMIN; ii < BOARDMAX; ii++)
    if (ON_BOARD(ii))
      score += q->territory_value[ii];
  score += black_captured - white_captured;

  return score;
}

so yes, looking at territory_value is relevant. I'm not sure that your
influence and territory variables really hold the information you
expect them to, however.