Re: [gnugo-devel] Webinterface to gnugo

From: Bryce Moore
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Webinterface to gnugo
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:54:52 -0500

As a sparetime hobby project I've been thinking about makeing a
webbased go game, however, due to the complexity of go I'm not going
to write my own engine - and therefore I'm looking into gnugo to see
if it can fulfill my needs, and if yes, what do you think would be the
best solution.

Sounds good.

I guess my main-problem is how I can make gnugo remember a state? I
may be wrong, but wouldn't the "best" (read "easy") way to solve this
problem just be to feed gnugo a state -> record the move -> terminate
gnugo -> give gnugos move to the user -> let the users make a move ->
feed the new state to gungo.

I think a cool way to do it would be some sort of comet[1] solution,
like how the gtalk integration is done with gmail.  This could be
quite some work though...  If you plan on extending your project in
the future this could be an option instead of restarting GnuGo
everytime.

Regardless of how the back-end works, I think the front-end could be
quite easily done with javascript by extending the javascript go board
position generator[2].

I hope you understand the problem, and I would appreciate any kind of
feedback :) Also - have in mind: This is a hobby project only which
dosn't need to be able to handle 10.000 crazy go-geeks, hammering my
server, while playing go when they should be working :)

Well, I hope it works out for you.  Good luck, and let me know the results!

1.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(programming)
2.  http://www.davar.net/INTERNET/JAVA-SCR/POSITION.HTM

bryce