[gnugo-devel] machine learning in gnugo

From: Thomas Nelson
Subject: [gnugo-devel] machine learning in gnugo
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 10:07:32 -0500 (CDT)

Hi, my name's Tom, and I'm a computer science undergraduate at UT Austin. I'm doing a research project on machine learning in go. My plan is to choose ~10 patterns in the gnugo patterns database, and optimize the shape() values for the patterns using a kind of gradient descent learning. My question is, which patterns should I choose? Ideally, I want to choose the 10 that will have the biggest effect on gnugo's performance. They should be used pretty often, and preferably early in the game. My current plan was just to play a lot of games, and use
gnugo -l [filename] -L [move number] -t -a -w
on each move to see which patterns get selected most often. But maybe someone knows a particular group or type of pattern that needs more attention, or a more efficient way to search for important patterns?

Thanks for your time.

Tom