[gnugo-devel] Multiplayer go

From: Chris
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Multiplayer go
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 15:27:03 -0500

I'm interested in developing multiplayer go. The reason is kids. There's no point in the grief of telling a third or fourth player they can get in when the lessons of influence and territory aren't lost at all with more players.

I noticed that Panda has two nice aspects of their GUI that give me hope about multiplayer go:

1) dynamic board size. No confinement to 9^2, 13^2 or 19^2 board choices. If I think 38^2 is necessary, it looks like no problem here.

2) human vs. human play. Obviously, multiplayer go is only for human players at this point in time.

I know gnu-go is about human versus computer play but I was hoping that maybe the project knows where I could get started. Many of the go GUIs--like Panda--seem to be closed source. That's very disappointing considering the mission of gnu projects.

I want to start my quest within the context of existing open source work so I can give it back to the community. Without computer AI involved, it might just be about expanding existing open source go GUI programs. At best, it already exists.

Thank you for your time and consideration.  Peace.--Chris