Re: [gnugo-devel] speeding up the engine

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] speeding up the engine
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 20:51:54 +0100

Joseph Piche wrote:
I had an idea for speading up move generation, but this would probably
only work in certain situations.

When genmove gives a list of top moves, store that list and the
current board position until the next genmove so that after checking
the difference in the board--if the opponent played tenuki, if gnugo
has sente, etc--then one of the previous possible moves could be
reused. Again, this wouldn't work in situations where gnugo is
generating only one move, but it could be especially useful.

Sounds difficult. You always have to check whether a tenuki must be answered and hopefully your previous move has a followup which wasn't possible to play, or had a different value, before the last move. My feeling is that it would be a lot of code with little impact and many robustness problems. But feel free to prove me wrong, if you can come up with an elegant and effective solution that's certainly interesting.

Unrelated, the todo list says "Make the cache not waste storage on 64
bit systems." I am willing to help out with this since I have a 64bit
ubuntu box I work on. But, again, I don't know where to start looking.

This is no big deal since the size of the cache has turned out not to be critical.

Incidentally I think our TODO list has passed its sell before date and is in large parts outdated. There is little on that list that I find very interesting. I'll come back to that in a later mail.