Re: [gnugo-devel] How to compile gnugo as a shared library?

From: Sorin Gherman
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] How to compile gnugo as a shared library?
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 17:54:31 -0800

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion!!

So your approach tries to minimize the number of time we open the gnugo processes, on the other hand we'll still have the same number of processes running, at any given time, as simultaneous players are there, and by keeping them in memory we'll eat up more memory then in the current approach, with one process opened per move.
The complain from my ISV was about using to much CPU (running too many gnugo processes at the same time), which I don't think will change with one gnugo process per player.

Back to my original question: I'm not even sure that the "calling gnugo as a library from python" works, because the board is a global variable in gnugo, so if I load the same library just once from the Python interpreter process, and modify the board from different Python threads, they'll share and keep modifying the same board structure, which is not good.
Can anyone comment on multithreaded issues that may occur in the "using gnugo as a shared library" approach?

Thanks,
Sorin