Re: [gnugo-devel] (GNU) Open source real time Go server

From: Giudici Raphaël
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] (GNU) Open source real time Go server
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:59:23 +0100

2010/1/18 Daniel Bump <address@hidden>:

> Raphaël Giudici wrote:
>
>> I contacted the FSF to talk about the possible creation of an open
>> source real time Go server backed up by the FSF. According to John
>> Sullivan, they are interested by such project and advised me to get in
>> touch with your team.
>
> Creating the code-base for a Go server is a miniscule part of
> the work involved. Running a Go server is a full-time job,
> and by full time, I mean 24 hours a day, 365 days a
> year. This is a business, not a hobby, and not an easy one to
> make profitable. There *have* to be admins on the server at
> all times and they have to deal with disputes and all kinds
> of disruptive behavior. Unless you never sleep, you will have
> to recruit and keep admins who will have to either be paid or
> be committed and responsible volunteers.

I don't know the proverb in english, but in french we would say you
are "selling the bear pelt before you got him killed". I didn't
understand the answer from the FSF as : "we are going to run a go
server", but, and it is the way I asked the question : "Are you
interested in the building of a go server ?". That way, anyone could
host a small server for a go club, a group of friends, or try to start
another major go server if he wishes to.
(I don't. I have several great ideas to make the absolute best go
server possible, but well .... ;-)

Dave is absolutely right : I come empty handed in the hope that some
coding guru slash manager slash leader  would find the project
entertaining. Which is not very realistic.

Best Regards,
Raph

--
Raphaël Giudici