Re: [gnugo-devel] Scoring problem with GnuGo engine

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Scoring problem with GnuGo engine
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:49:06 +0100

Charles Ellis wrote:
Hi -- I'm running GnoGo through a PandaNet interface and have encountered a scoring glitch with 9x9 practice games. Essentially, the program doesn't recognize a surrounded area unless it's literally surrounded, or see stones as captured that aren't actually removed. Can you receive screen shots in the form of jpeg attachments? You'll see at once what I mean. Of course, at 9x9 it's not that hard to count up visually, just an annoyance, but it would mess up record-keeping of results etc., and would become a real pain on a full board.

That sounds like a limitation of the PandaNet interface. GNU Go does not require removal of dead stones before scoring a finished position. You're welcome to show us an example but we would prefer it as an sgf file.