Re: [gnugo-devel] Go Board and Go Stone Images

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Go Board and Go Stone Images
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 11:34:31 -0800

> I know that all source files are distributed under GNU GPL. Does that
> include the image files? How can I legally use them? I am quite new to
> this, does that mean my program must also have a GPL if I decide to put it
> on GitHub, or put the source code somewhere public in order to get some
> feedback from more experienced programmers?

If you distribute your program under the GPL there is no problem.
If you post your code on github, you should probably decide on a
license before posting it.

Are you willing to use GPL?

> Image formats such as .jpg, .png, or .gif seem to be used much more often.
> Was there a specific reason why .xpm was chosen instead?

According to this message:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnugo-devel/2003-01/msg00066.html

I made them with xpaint. (I'd forgotten.)

I think we used xpm because the format is simple, human readable and
files can be loaded into emacs. They can probably be converted into
jpg's using either Imagemagick or gimp (which might give better
results).

Daniel Bump