[gnugo-devel] Help developing Gnu Go! ( 2dan+ Go player on IGS)

From: Chin Jung Cheng
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Help developing Gnu Go! ( 2dan+ Go player on IGS)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 15:07:45 -0800

Hi GNU Go development team!

I would like to thank you for your hard work on GNU Go! I am Chin Jung Cheng, a 2dan+ Go player on IGS and I have always enjoyed playing against GNU Go. I am a computational molecular biologist in University of Washington and I have some basic knowledge in scripting, but not so much in programming.

I hope that my dan-level skills in Go can improve GNU Go's tesuji especially during mid-game and fuseki. I am also interested in GNU Go's module in estimating territory as it is an essential skill for making better decisions (i.e. deciding when to invade, expand moyo, etc...). I am also comfortable with doing other chores as long as it helps me better understand GNU Go.

I have played against other computer Go programs, including Pachi, which heavily relies on Monte Carlo Tree Search. However, Pachi plays so many nonsensical moves that greatly diminish the joy of playing Go. That's why I would like to help developing GNU Go instead!

Anyway, please let me know what I can help with! Thank you so much in advance!

Regards,

Chin Jung Cheng