Re: [gnugo-devel] Liberty 1.0

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Liberty 1.0
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 06:52:18 -0700

> Was wondering if the source for Liberty 1.0 is still available from somewhere?

Here it is:

http://sporadic.stanford.edu/bump/match/liberty-1.0.tar.gz

Someone is running a Liberty bot on KGS. Is that you?

Jan Van der Steen objected to my calling the program liberty
since he had written an editor with the same name.

http://gobase.org/software/liberty/

I suppose this objection has disappeared with the passage
of time. In any case I wouldn't worry about it.

After I released liberty several things happened. I was contacted
by Stuart Cracraft (GNU Chess author) and Richard Stallman to
make Liberty become GNU Go. And I was approached by David Denholm
to enhance it. David was working for Citrix UK and they took a
long time before they would sign a release that would allow him
to sign the copyright assignment for his work to the FSF.  While
this was going on we had to work in private, so there were no
public releases until GNU Go 2.0, and no authors besides myself
and David (and Man Lung Li since we started with his code.)
Finally Citrix allowed David to assign copyright and GNU Go
2.0 appeared. After that Gunnar Farneback began working on GNU Go
and he became the lead developer with 3.0.

Dan