Re: geolite country

From: GNU Herds work team
Subject: Re: geolite country
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 00:59:28 +0100

Ward Vandewege wrote:
> The text of the license can be found here:
>   http://www.maxmind.com/download/geoip/database/LICENSE.txt
>
> It's pretty permissive but GPL incompatible because there is an advertising
> clause. Then again, I'm not sure that matters in this case.

You are right.  It seems it not convenient to use such data and software.

It was used only in very odd cases: when the client browser do not specify any
language preference, so we tried to guess the best default language according
to Geo country code.

Removing such code not rest too much quality to the webapp due to we set a
language cookie too.  We wait a day before committing it to Git.

> Can you ask RMS about the use of this database?

We think it is not needed.

Best regards,
The work team