gnulib-tool-py

Re: [gnulib-tool-py] Reset self._modules_: dummy vs. all modules

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: [gnulib-tool-py] Reset self._modules_: dummy vs. all modules
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 22:48:56 +0200

Hi Dmitriy,

Another unanswered question:

> Working with variables inside gnulib-tool.sh and it's Python version, I've
> found that the default value for modules is 'dummy'.

Not quite so. 'dummy' is not a default value. It is a auxiliary module that
gets added to the processing, in some cases, after having accepted a list
of modules from the user and before processing the list (generating .m4
and .am files etc.).

>From the user's point of view (regarding the list of modules he specifies,
the list of modules saved in the gnulib-cache.m4 file etc.) this module
does not appear; that's why it is undocumented.

func_modules_add_dummy makes sure to add the 'dummy' module not only when
the initial module list is empty, but also when it is nonempty and there
are no lib_SOURCES augmentations. Because then we might be generating
a Makefile command that invokes 'ar' with 0 file arguments - this doesn't
work.

Bruno