Re: [Gnumed-devel] Python gettext

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Python gettext
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 03:49:12 +1000

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 05:35 pm, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> gmI18n.py installs the function _() in the global (!)
> namespace so after it is imported by a top level module (such
> as gnumed.py) no other modules need to worry about even
> importing it anymore and just wrap their strings.

I would strongly encourage to include gmI18N in each module!

Reason: each module should have a testing function in the section "if __name__
Preferrably (for debugging purposes) this should be achieved by calling a
single function from without the __main__ section. Otherwise, when importing
the module from within the interactive interpreter, it would be hard to start
the testing.
As no module gets imported twice, and the testing whether a module has been
imported already is just one dictionary lookup, there is virtually no penalty
in just importing gmI18N from any module using strings.

Horst