Re: [Gnumed-devel] login screen - room for improvement

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] login screen - room for improvement
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 00:04:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Here's a little project for someone with some GUI skills and
> wxGlade (David, perhaps ?):
>
> I think it would be helpful to have a somewhat improved login
> dialog screen along the following lines:
>
> ,--------------------------------------------------------
> |
> |         GnuMed Logo
> |
>  >-------------------------------------------------------
> |
> | date       : current_date
> | workplace  : local_name
> | contact    : arbitrary-service_contact-info
> |
>  >- login parameters ------------------------------------
> |
> | user name  : ________________
> | password   : **********______
> |
>  >- advanced login parameters ---------------------------
> |
> | DBMS server: ________________
> | DBMS port  : ________________
> | DB name    : ________________
> | DB options : ________________
> |
> `--------------------------------------------------------
>
> Where workplace is the local logical name of the workplace the
> machine is sitting at such as "lab urinalysis", "front desk
> 1", "exam room 1", "ultrasound room", "X-Ray reception" etc.
> Don't worry about where current_date and local_name will come
> from. Just put in a sample string. I'll provide the
> corresponding data.
>
> There's also room for your suggestions as to the design here.
>
> Anyone interested ? Comments/objections ?

I would like to hide all those rather sophisticated 'advanced' login
parameters within a popup window (similiar to Windows' login screen). I
guess that the ordinary user wont use those options very frequently and
even if somebody might want to change the backend options , it should be
possible to wrap those inside only one alias hiding all the details. I
personally prefer user interfaces that are rather simple and do not
confuse the user. I believe that someone not involved in computer science
might rather be frightened by an login screen holding >=3 parameters (of
which the majority is of a rather technical nature). But again, that might
be a matter of taste.

Besides, I would volunteer to try and implement the suggested changes.

Hilmar