Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Drug database/browser/prescription design

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Drug database/browser/prescription design
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:30:29 +0200

> So we are stuck with using specific drug databases on the backend: MIMS
> and AMIS. The danger is these differences can work their way through,
> until we have totally incompatible German and Australian versions of
> Gnumed.
I am here to try to avoid this. *evil grin* >:->

> One option is to have a 'drug database driver', which exports a common
> API to the drug database browser
Exactly ! This _might_ need to be able to talk to 3rd party
binary data sources as well (although this isn't desirable it
may become necessary).

> (I don't see why this needs to be
> different between Germany and Australia, other than the normal
> translation of strings)
I agree ! The weighting (and thus representation) of certain
content may be different in different countries but this can
be achieved by use of markup and need not concern the browser
directly.

> I admit, I only have the vaguest idea want such an API should look like.
Why, the MIMS browser queries the database for stuff to
display ? So in the simplest sense just convert queries to
methods of the driver. As soon as we access this driver for
other purposes or try to bind it to other sources the obvious
errors pop up and can be fixed. This technique generally works
very well for me.

> The prescription writer needs local modification of course, but, IMHO,
> we should start with a reference version, which can load 'bureaucrat'
> modules for each regulatory regime.
Not a bad idea. I wonder if this is doable/practical.