Re: [Gnumed-devel] AMIS + phrase wheel

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] AMIS + phrase wheel
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:16:49 +0200

> > > Works quick and fast. How does it go pulling data from the database?
> > It doesn't at all yet. The only match provider currently
> > query just fine, but we can _fix_ it before we invoke the
> > phrase wheel - no need for dynamic database access. Quite
> > different with patient names: a) patients _could_ get added
> > while we are in the phrase wheel b) we cannot get a list of
> > all patients and pass that to the fixed list provider because
> > of size issues.
> I would prefer a dynamic database access for scanning the drug database,
> too. AMIS has about 40.000 drugs and about 12.000 substances - fetching
> the whole list might take some seconds.
Nothing prevents you from doing that. The infrastructure is
there. Just write a (threaded ?) match provider. Also, even if
we fetch the entire list beforehand it doesn't make sense at
all to fill a fixed list provider with 40000 items.

> Maybe we could extend the
> FixedList match provider by some interruptable data retrieval method that
> starts fetching a list after reaching a minimal fragment length and
> restarting the updated query after every letter added.
The "start fetching after reaching a minimal fragment length"
part is already in there. No need to extend the FixedList
provider, however. Just write your own.