Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search functionality revisited

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search functionality revisited
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 01:19:17 +0100

> Don't you have any phonetic sear ch algorithms? At least for English
> there are
> a number of reasonable phonetic search algorithms available ("soundex"), =
> even in postgres/contrib
I know. I am not immediately aware of any phoneme reducers for
German. I will do some research on those in due time, though.
Theoretically, soundex should be trainable for all languages
reasonably phoneto-structurally close to English.

However, soundex will happen in a third level query or in a
second level one at the earliest if the user so desires. I am
trying to catch the common cases first in 1st/2nd level
queries. Of course, 1st level queries that don't return any
hits will be escalated to second level automatically. Same for
second to third level.