Re: [Gnumed-devel] GnuMed/Archive // patient object

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GnuMed/Archive // patient object
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 05:20:39 -0500

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:48:11AM +1100, Horst Herb wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:00, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > Our main show-stopper currently is that GnuMed proper is still
> > missing a patient object with associated API. I am urgently
> > asking Horst to check in what he is working on (test-area) and
> The alternative would be a procedural API with the usual "set" and "get"
> functions for each attribute.
>
> Coments and suggestions more than welcome.
 The API/middleware/whatever is also needed to perform the 'backroom'
functions that would otherwise be done using stored procedures (in a
monolithic database), such as reference counting, interaction checking,
etc.. This means 'regular' Python objects,such as
Patient, Drug, Prescription, etc. which may have a 1-to-1 correspondence
with the postgres tables/views,, or may not, data accessed via
functions.

This is slow to write, but, in honesty, can be written quicker than the
length of time since Richard fuinshed the interfaces (now getting on for
5 months)

In terms of using dictionaries/ etc to represent tables, it is nice, but
I think, inevitably loses too much flexibility. All I would want is just
a few
fsimple functions to fluently mix SQL and Python code (instead of having
to mess about with cursors all the time)

I volunteer to start working  on a Patient object (an interface to the
gmclinical service, as is) (BYW, is this finished yet?!)
Then Karsten will be happy ;-)

Ian