Re: [Gnumed-devel] [Fwd: Re: [GPCG] Embedded Flags]

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] [Fwd: Re: [GPCG] Embedded Flags]
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:01:35 +1000

I am more inclined to have a "narrative text entry" widget that captures data on the fly (e.g. assigning an escape character to trigger data capture) rather than having a multitusde of entry widgets.

The software I am currently using is a pain in the a* when it comes to data capture - takes ages to jump to all the relevant widgets, so it's not done (data capture, that is)

I really would like a "shorthand" notation like:
\bp 110/80   (blood pressure 110/80)
\bp 120/90 -2w @home   (blood pressure 120/90 2 weeks ago at home)
\rx cephalexin 500 mg qid * 1w
\dx appendicitis
.. you get the drift.

Whatever the narrative data capture manages to catch / interprete, is then highlighted some way in the text widget to give feedback to the doctor who enters the data in a non-obstrusive way. A right-click menu gives access to all shorthand options for those who want to learn it as they go. In the worst case, if the shorthand notation is not used, records are just captured the same way as in paper records - but would still be searcheable through full text search facilities.

Horst