Re: [Gnumed-devel] so, where are we now on data persistence

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] so, where are we now on data persistence
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 11:46:06 +0200

Session recovery after asking the user when a session file is
found is, of course, the way to go. However, user specific
session files won't do since any newly started GnuMed instance
can connect to arbitrary selections of servers not guaranteed
to match the previous session's selection. So we'd at least
need to make sure we connected to the same *core* database
(which in all probability should connect us to the same set of
servers).

> Only three events that should trigger the persistence mechanism:
I wouldn't make this a hard limit but it's certainly a
minimum requirement...

> The "on_save" function should be implemented "per panel", not "per widget",
> with widgets registering themselves with their parent's on_save handler.
IMHO, the exact nature of when to do that sort of interaction
will readily expose itself upon implementation. After a few
panels/widgets a pattern will emerge. I am not pre-convinced
of per-panel being the right thing.