Re: [Gnumed-devel] database installation

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] database installation
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:50:43 +1000

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:49:17 -0400
David Grant <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm an experienced Linux user and I know Python, but I'm a total
> postgresql newbie (and a newbie to all databases for that matter).

Welcome aboard!

> I think I recognize "select name from distributed_db;" as some sort of
> SQL query...  Is my database not initialized properly?
Correct.

scripts for installing gnumed databases are found in
gnumed/gnumed/server/bootstrap, in
the CVS tree.

the commands I used were:

$ ./make-links.sh
$ ./bootstrap-gm_db_system.py --conf=bootstrap-standard-AU.conf

This database has some customisations for Australian practice (probably more
informative than
German: the only other options at this stage) At present this is only the
postcodes (zip codes)
but this will have more significance as time goes on.

> By the way,
> what's the best way to clear my database and start over.  Can I just
> delete the /var/lib/postgresql/data directory?  Thanks.

No. do "dropdb gnumed" first to delete the database.

> Please CC any replies to address@hidden
>
> David Grant

Would you mind briefly introducing yourself? Are you a doctor/ programmer/
whatever?
Can you give us any information on customisation
for the Canadian health system? In particular, what drug databases are in use
over there?

Ian Haywood
(currently intern at Western Hospital, Melbourne, Australia)