[Gnumed-devel] Re: Changes in "pg_hba.conf" between postgresql versions

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Changes in "pg_hba.conf" between postgresql versions 7.3.2 & 7.2.2
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:47:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Which then will only work for connections inside localhost.
> This is intended for the bootstrap* but not so for actual user
> access to a GnuMed server.
For sure.  You gave the correct solution below which I just missed ...

> > Moreover I think allowing authentification TRUST for *all* databases is more
> > than we want and the number of users can also be reduced.
> Certainly.
>
> > The databases we
> > connect to are at first template1.
> Well, only in bootstrap. GnuMed proper does not connect to
> template1.
>
> > on my box.  Once the gnumed-test database is created the user gm-dbowner has
> > to connect also to this database.
> Again, only pertinent to bootstrap*.
Yes - and this is intended because I talked in the first two lines about the
bootstrap process.

> > If local users want to *access* the database we need a further line for
> > pg_hba.conf:
> >
> > local   gnumed-test  @gmGnumedUser.list                     password
> and, of course:
>  host   gnumed-test  @gmGnumedUser.list                       md5
> if we intend to have users access this server from other
> boxen. Also note, that only the Debian installation uses the
> database name "gnumed-test". The public db is usually named
> "gnumed-public" while other bootstrap*s create "gnumed". This
> can, of course, be set in the *.conf file for bootstrap*.
For sure.  You just have to insert the database you want to create here
and also you have to enable authentication from other hosts via TCP/IP
as Karsten mentioned starting with 'host'.  But the sense of my mail was
to restrict to those databases we need and to those users who are allowed
to access and not to open our server to everybody.

Kind regards

       Andreas.