Re: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Qt licensing issues for GNUmed

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Qt licensing issues for GNUmed
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:09:26 +1000

richard terry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Looking nice in gui is important - it often makes or breaks usage of
> an
> application. It ok to be purist, but in the long term all efforts may
> come to
> nothing.

I agree entirely, but ultimately the licensing decsions need to be made by
those
who have written the code.

> Personally I like QT because it not only looks good, it is twenty
> times easier
> to sit and play with the gui and get something that looks good. Sure,
> one can
> prototype in QT and then translate the design to wxPython, and I
> suspect in
> the long run that from the flavour or replies on the list we won't
> (sob sob)
> be using QT.

It still doesn't sit well with GPLed code.

> From talking to Ian, wxPython doesn't seem to come up too well under
> windows,
> does anyone else have experience of that.

wxWindows/wxPython is a doddle (easy) to install on Windows, and certainly all
the wxPython demos and the PythonCard demos (PythonCard is a high level
abstraction/GUI builder for wxPython) all work fine on my Win2k box here at
work.
But I've never used it in anger...

Of course, there is also Tk and its Python bindings, Tkinter. It has the
advantage
that it is free, open source and GPL compatible, and comes with all
distributions
of Python on all platforms (well, Linux/Unix/Mac OS/X/Windows at least). There
is
a nice extension library of extra widgets (and a framework for building
high-level
widgets) for it called Python Megawidgets. And as Horst commented last week,
Tk on Windows now uses the native Windows look-and-feel, so its appearance is
acceptable (previously it looked horrible on Windows).

The downside is that Tk is a bit slow - but only really a problem on older
machines with CPUs of 400 Mhz or less - and its API is a bit cumbersome and
funky - but it is well documeneted and it is covered in many of the Python
programming books, and there is plenty of support for it available on the main
Python mailing list (since it is considered mainsteam Python).

Worth considering?

Tim C