Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 09:39:16 +0100

> I have written a Python replacement for psql, see
> /gnumed/gnumed/server/bootstrap/Psql.py
Now, that is *hard*. Probably not worth your time.

> I also propose some simplifications to the script
>       - making an effort to find files for sql
just give it enough of a path for the sql files in the
conf file

We can check for the standard CVS structure by
default, though, to make that a bit easier.

> and modules, to avoid needing to set up links
well

>       - not prompting for the postgres password if we don't need it (as most
> users
> will have no idea what it is)
I can't see a way of finding out whether or not we need it.

>       - offering to overwrite postgres config files with a sensible default
> setup.
I'd be wary of that one. Also, we'd need either "postgres" or
"root" user rights.

> good idea, but probably simpler just to rename the old database to
> "old-gnumed"
> and start afresh. This way data cannot accidentally be destroyed.
How does one do that transaction-safely ?