Re: [Gnumed-devel] Installation on RedHat

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Installation on RedHat
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:02:44 +0100

> I am reading the "Installation" thread with interest. I followed the
> install directions and got all those rpms installed - I am on a RH 8.0
> system. I even got the first graphic login to come up.
That means the client is "installed" properly. "Installed"
because the "install" is just that the client code is able to
run from an arbitrary location as long as the CVS tree
structure is sufficiently preserved.

> I did not know what the password was until after I deleted the "data"
> directory.
You deleted the PostgreSQL data directory. No such thing is
necessary for installing the GnuMed server, let alone the
client.

> No matter how many times I run that "init" command to rebuild
> the data directory, I keep getting errors.
You need to read up on how to set up PostgreSQL first.

> And I have not seen that login
> screen since.
That should not have to do anything with the above except if
you downloaded the GnuMed CVS tree into the PostgreSQL data
directory. Which is not a good place for it.

> Now I will un and re install everything. Once I can get to the login
> screen, I have to run the gnumed install script - right?
No. If you are referring to the bootstrap script you only need
to run that if you want to setup your own database for GnuMed.
Nothing to do with the client.