Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:10:57 +0100

> > \encoding breaks
> > amis-data.sql breaks.
> C'mon, at least give it a try ;-)
I did as you may notice from the changes in CVS and from my
other posts.

> The missing feature seems to be backquotes for shell access.
> is this the only one?
hm, the only one I can think of, apart from the "instring"
"--" problem which can get arbitrarily complex, unfortunately
(but likely won't, fortunately)

> I might add I found amis-data.sql a little unusual.
For once I am not to blame :-))

> Surely it would be
> simpler to call a python script directly from the bootstrap scripts, instead
> of going
> Python script -> psql -> shell -> python script.

I agree that the config data should be transferred into the
backend by means other than calling a shell script from within
psql that calls a python script.

However, how would we go about setting the absolute AMIS path
for loading data from the media into the tables ? Any way of
evaluating env vars inside psql ?

I am not entirely opposed to just having a separate
load-AMIS_data.sh that needs to be run to load data and only
handle the AMIS *schema* via bootstrap. Would simplify things
considerably. Hilmar ?

Or do we need a hook in bootstrap*.conf for running arbitrary
executables ? Which would then run load-AMIS_data.sh.