Re: [Gnumed-devel] install instructions

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] install instructions
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:07:24 +0100 (MET)

> Even on GNU/Linux (and other serious OS' :-)) we should think about coding
> an
> installer that has very few dependencies. This installer should gather
> information about ones packages and install what is necessary. Ideally it
> could detect a missing python installation and get it via apt-get, yast
> etc.
IMHO getting package dependencies right is the task of the package manager
(apt, yast, rpm).
The installer should only check if everthing went right (just in case
someone installed the packages by hand).
Then the installer should provide a way to comfortably configure and install
client and/or server. Parts of this could be started from within a
postinstaller script, too. I do not have to much experience with those scripts,
but I
believe that  the user interface available from within  this postinstall
scrtipts depends heavily on the responding package manager and distribution.
The installer should be modular and use plugins so that GUI/console versions
can be easily derived. That way GUI and scripts can be separated and the
parameters could either gathered from the package information or from the GUI.

> It should not even depend on python. Call me paranoid but I have had
> python
> rpms lately that did not work at all. This would than render the installer
> unusable.
I guess that we have to make at least some assumptions here. It should not
be a common problem that installed python packages don't work.

Hilmar