Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmEditArea broken

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmEditArea broken
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 12:29:31 +0100 (MET)

> I always hesitate to pick this up because I can do little to make these
> problems go away. Let us just assume that new developers don't know more
> about GNUmed than I do. How can they find out ?
Well, in theory, the Developer Manual should give them some guidance. As
documenting code is much more boring than coding there is really not that much
uptodate documentation in this manual. I tried once to extract the
documentation strings directly from the source code, but could not compile the
resulting
docbook-sgml due to some problem in jade. Will try this again.
The best way for a new developer is to look at the source code. I don't
believe that we will be able to keep the documentation  uptodate while at the
same time trying to code. IMHO we should cleanup the Manuals before the first
alpha release.

> Do we have concepts ?
> Can someone please describe the concepts. I mean actually write a document
Well, as Karsten pointed out, the main problem is that there are many
concepts, but none of these has been brought to a final state. I believe that we
will have to sit down one day to discuss the clinical GUI concepts in detail.
Maybe at GnuMed-Conference.de on Dez 13th ?

> Who cares if these concepts might change a hundred times. IMHO it is more
> important to have bad documentation than to have none.

Well, I don't really agree here. Changing concepts are only acceptable if
the target is changing. Usually you should have a well understood concept
before you start to write code. Ever changing concepts is the reason why we
don't
have a working gui.
IMO we need a more or less stable concept to start from before we do more
work on the clinical GUI. We should try to understand what Syan did, fix this
concept/code and than change everything else accordingly.

Hilmar

--
HoHoHo! Seid Ihr auch alle schön brav gewesen?

GMX Weihnachts-Special: Die 1. Adresse für Weihnachts-
männer und -frauen! http://www.gmx.net/de/cgi/specialmail