Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: openemeds with postgres

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: openemeds with postgres
Date: 22 Dec 2003 12:50:10 +1100

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 12:23, Horst Herb wrote:
> As an aside, I am enthused by your work on the OpenEMED PIDS, since this is
> work I was intending to take on as well. I feel we will soon have great need
> for it in Australia for a variety of reasons.

I am also enthusiastic. Just FYI, CSIRO have done some exploratory work
wrapping Web service interfaces around our Febrl record linkage engine
(which is written in Python - see
http://datamining.anu.edu.au/projects/linkage.html). We have encouraged
them to make the code available, as the basis of a PIDS which is built
around a state-of-the-art matching engine (Febrl is not there yet, but
the project now has 3 years of funding from ARC, so there is a good
chance it will achieve that goal). Any lessons or insights from the
OpenEMed PIDs implementation are very valuable. We haven't ruled out
grafting Febrl into the OpenEMed PIDS, but the Java/CPython divide is a
bit of a barrier there without using yet another interface. We do intend
to closely follow the CORBAmed PIDS specs as closely as possible,
however.

Any comp sci or maths/stats students who are Australian residents and
who are interested in pursuing such work as part of an honours or
doctoral programme, please see the Febrl web site - positions and a PhD
scholarship are available.

--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0