Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:52:07 +0100

On Thursday 19 February 2004 16:52, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > basic installer
> > just does not cut it. I hate it when I install a program only to find
> > out that I am missing some vb-stuff oder the latest MS Windows Scripting
> > host.
> >
> > The Windows installer needs to take care of this. The client needs to run
> > once it has been installed.
>
> This is a very debatable issue. The installer should provide
> profuse hints about what is missing and where it can be gotten
> from but should not attempt to install it. That's the road
> down to DLL-hell.
I don't see a problem. If the installer does not find python it marks it for
installation. The user can at any time uncheck the box so it won't get
installed. Since I propose to download the original Windows installer for the
missing packages there is no difference between calling their installer from
within mine or doing it manually.

The only problem right now is that NSIS seems to have some bugs I cannot work
out. It simply does not do certain things despite strong belief that my code
is correct.

I don't want the installer depend on python. So there is no way of using the
python extension. Even python itself gets installed via an installer from
WISE.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany