Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed in real life

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed in real life
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:53:27 +0100

> 2.) Lab-data associated with patients disappear the moment you view them
> inside Turbomed.
Gets mangled beyond repair/mangled inside the data files, that
is. A fix is not forthcoming.

> 3.) Sometimes one cannot access the lab-data sheet in Turbomed at all because
> of corrupted data. This is a Turbomed problem and has been there for a while.
Their official "fix" is to remove the offending records.

> 3.) Use GNUmed. That means parts of GNUmed. Karsten has explained the remote
> control feature before. We stay on Windows98 , run an GNUmed instance in the
> background and use it in conjunction with Turbomed.
Why ?

Because starting GnuMed from scratch each time it is needed is
a) too slow and b) requires authentication every time. Even
starting the needed plugins standalone is too slow. We know
because we tried.

How ?

Start GnuMed once with
 --slave=doc-viewer --port=54321

Whenever needed connect to the XML-RPC service on port 54321
with the personality cookie "doc-viewer".

> 3.1)We intend to import lab-data into GNUmed instead of Turbomed. This way it
> will never get lost again.
That's why lab data support is next up on *my* list. It will
be fully automated if possible:

- automatically download lab data by modem at night (we've been
  doing this successfully for years)
- harvest TurboMed for patient <-> sample ID associations (I
  decoded the data file a while ago)
- harvest TurboMed for the corresponding patients (we also
  decoded that data file)
- import lab data where the corresponding patient is
  unambigously identifiable
- notify by email

> 3.3) We record vaccinations in GNUmed because many people loose their
> documents and even hospitals call to check on the vaccination status.
> Until now we did this non-natively in Turbomed.
To be perfectly honest we don't do this quite yet today. But
it is ready for deployment.