Re: [Gnumed-devel] re timezones

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re timezones
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:17:00 +0200

> By timestamp I assume we refer to capture and writing of the server
> date and time, per its "system clock" (or else the date & time of the
> client machine).
True, true, I admit to decrepitude already :-)

> If so, then through timestamp
>
> - PG will capture the date & time of any RECORD's creation (or
> modification)
Yep.

> - such a timestamp will only accurately depict a clinical event when
> the client was in use during the event
Yep.

> - dates & times of clinical events will otherwise be captured as either:
> --- free text (in which the event location ought to be captured hence
> addressing the ambiguity) or as
Yep, as per Liz' example of the ancle injury.

> --- a user-coded date & time
Yep, as, say, in a vaccination.

> Suppose in the latter case an Australian patient holidays to Honolulu
> and, on their last day (with insurance expiring), receives care
> recorded in Gnumed as having been given April 9 at 4pm (though this
> would be 12:30pm April 10 on Lord Howe Island, Australia). Six hours
> later, the patient boards a 12-hour  "red eye" flight to Australia, and
> arrives at what is now 6:30 am on April 11 in Australia and a few hours
> later sees his GP who, for the sake of argument, can access the
> Honolulu Gnumed record. The GP will either see that the care, viewed
> relative to the point of delivery, had been given April 9 ("looks like
> 2 days ago") or else April 10 ("looks like yesterday"). If a resolution
> of this were important, I might like to view it from the context in
> which it was delivered i.e. to be told/shown the date/time according to
> the time zone in which the event occurred, but also to have it
> expressed as # days / hours ago.
This is a much better description of the problem I was worried
about. At some point we'll have to invent some mechanism to
make it possible to display the timezone (mouseover/tooltip or
something).

BTW, we already capture clinical and event time |-)

clin_root_item.clin_when
audit_fields.modified_when