Re: [Gnumed-devel] Configuration options

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Configuration options
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:27:29 +0200

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:47:25 +1000
Ian Haywood <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have added some new configuration options to
> gnumed/client/etc/DBDefault.definitions
This file is just an description and definition of options that might be found
in the backend.
This information is used by the Setup widget to check the type of the data when
changing an option and to show
some helpful information as to how an option works. The description is just
there because usually there is no meaningful description set when backend
options are set (as far as I remember, gmCfgSQL.set() does not even support
setting descriptions) and. This is a duplication and maybe should be fixed in
the future.
Adding option information do DBDDefault.definitions is optional. When entering
data in the Setup widget, however, will print a warning that the correct type
of the entered data can not be checked in cases where the information is
missing. You can still write changed data to the backend by pressing 'OK' in
the respective dialog. Actually this file should hold information on allowed
ranges and so on, too - this, however, has not yet been implemented.

> however they do not appear in the configuration widget,
> and are not in  the backend table gmconfiguration.cfg_template

You will have to set it by either calling gmCfgSql.set() from within the code
or by calling client/pycommon/tools/transferDBset.py -i yourOptionFile.
Have a look at server/bootstrap/install_amis_data.sh and /amis-config.set to
get an idea how it works.

> cfg_template appears to be populated on-the-fly for some options
> (but doesn't make sense for my new values, as we can't infer values)
Window.height and width are set on the fly, for example.
> I also can't work out where we specify default values.
You will have to call transferDBset.py on bootstrap.
Maybe parts of transferDBset.py should be integrated in bootstrap-gm_db_system
and an option in the boostrap-cfg-file provided that allows to import default
option values to the backend ?
I remember that this was one reason why I wanted to write a gnumed client
installer before I started to finish my thesis...

Hilmar