Re: [Gnumed-devel] Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommende

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommended for GnuMed?
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:12:50 +0200

On Friday 07 May 2004 16:13, Jim Busser wrote:
> I realize I may be opening a can of worms here, but I am in the process
> of getting a server set up, which the local IT people are happy to set
> up under either Windows (egad!) or Linux.
>
> Assuming Linux to be the only "smart / safe / wise " choice, which
> factor should weigh heaviest or win out among:
>
> - use whatever distro the local IT people are most familiar with, or
> - are there specific distros to avoid (maybe Mandrake as it may be
> subsumed by Red Hat) and / or
> - is Debian preferred, on the basis of GNU license adherence or other
> factors
A server you say. No desktop ? Well I am by no means an expert but
I can tell you what we have in our practice. We have been running Suse for 5
years I think on a 24/7 server and have not had any problems whatsoever.

Suse puts out security fixes. You can use yast online update to install them.
It is supposed to be easy to install. It actually is :)

Python, wxpython, wxwindows packages are sufficient for Gnumed. At least I
develop on it. Karsten is on Suse as well so this makes two :)

I have never used any other distro so I can't compare it to any other distro.
You might want to check if OSCAR has preferences.

For end-users I guess Debian will be an excellent choice since Andreas is
working hard to build packages. I believe in some not so distant time all you
need to install Gnumed on Debian is going to be 'apt-get install gnumed'

There is however apt4rpm as well so I see no reason apart from someone doing
it while you couldn't 'apt-get install gnumed' on any rpm-based distro like
Suse or Redhat.

Let's see where this thread will take us :-)

Sebastian