Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: previous postings to do with installers

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: previous postings to do with installers
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:41:48 +0200

> Assuming that in a previous step a user has installed Python, could a
> Python script or application complete all of the rest of the
> installation?
Python can but not the standard sequence "python setup.py".

> Re versions of Python:
>
> - do we identify any one "release" of GnuMed as requiring a SINGLE
No.

> version, or tolerating a RANGE of versions, of Python?
Yes.

if version() > min_version:
    do_install()

> - could non-Python installers identify the version number(s) of Python
> packages already present on the target machine?
Yes. But it may be quite cumbersome.

> - if the version of Python is too low for GnuMed
> - - must the existing version be kept on the machine, in case it is
> needed for 'legacy" Python apps or dependencies?
Yes.

> - - or do we assume all Pythons are backward-compatible and take
> executive decision to delete or disable the old
No.

> - - or do we ask the user
Yes, possibly. Or rather print a *_sermon and exit.

> - - - and if we ask, should we "save" the choice, so it can be "read",
> and the user (who may be a newbie) "reminded" next time?
Lots of effort for little gain, I suppose.

> If so far we have a viable and preferred solution, we are talking
IMO installation should be done by installation tools if
viable.

> The installer/updater of GnuMed would:
> 1.) Check for an installation of wxpython, wxwindows, pypgsql
Yes.

> 2.) Complain if they are not installed (search registry)
Yes.

> 3.) mark missing ones for installation (links are hardcoded to internet
> addresses, can point to a cd)
Possibly.

> 4.) download and install missing programs
Maybe.

> 5.) check for old versions of GNUmed
Yes.

> 6.) update / install new
Yes, if safely possible.

> also could Python be OS/distro-aware therefore a single piece of code
> accommodating OS exceptions as in:
Huh ? :-)