[Gnumed-devel] gnumed-mini

From: Horst Herb
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed-mini
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:12:15 +1000

I am now close to "finalize" the 0.1 release of my mini-gnumed - standalone
version of the software that slowly evolved from writing add-ons for the
commercial clinical software package we were using.

Question: shall we put it into a branch of the gnumed tree, or shall I rather
create a entirely new repository? I hope to release this weekend or during
the next week.

It has a few nice design aspects:
- All user interface elements are created with wxGlade, and no wxGlade code is
manually modified. Non-programmers can thus largely modify the look and feel
without any need for writing a single line of code.
- the user interface is a simple framework of multiple splitter windows and
sizers, filled up by plugin modules providing all functionality. The user
interface "remembers" it's state / configuration (mostly, still work to do).
- all communication between modules happens through a single simple dispatcher
based messaging system, independent of any GUI or toolkit
- use of the new namespace features of Postgres >= 7.3, aiming at using the
native distributed database features coming with 7.5 (saving all the trouble
with "services" we had to take til now.
- most simple no-nonsense installation

It has a few ugly design aspect:
- much simplified database schema for performance, not properly normalized in
many cases
- no audit trail yet at all
- no logging yet at all
- almost zero documentation
- most exceptions uncaught (but that mostly on purpose - forces me to fix
things instead of just continuing to work)
- much specific for the Australian situation. will need work to make it useful
for other health systems/countries

What it can so far:
- create, edit, display and search demographic data
- select a patient
- create, view and edit simple past history entries and allergy entries
- create, view and edit simple SOAP progress notes
- import, view and annotate PIT formated pathology results
- import and browse the MIMS drug database
- check interactions via the drugref database
- create, view and edit prescriptions using the MIMS database
- import demographic data, allergies, past history, progress notes and
prescriptions from "medibase" (well, largely untested, work in progress)

What it can soon (work in progress):
- create, view and edit referral letters via AbiWord integration
- scan, administrate and view images via SANE interface (sorry Windows users)
- print most of  the above (scripts, summaries)

It is not what I originally envisioned with gnumed (especially the database
design is far too simplicistic),  but it is a actually working functional
replacement for currently available software. If debugged and completed it
will allow my colleagues in Australia to bide time by using it until the
proper gnumed is finalized. Shouldn't be too hard to adapt it to other
countries.health systems.

Horst