Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP widget navigation - RT coments

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP widget navigation - RT coments
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 08:43:37 +1000

see comments below in text:

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

It is so common in mainstream applications for the tab key to advance among screen areas "fields" that it might be nice if the tab key is programmed to advance from the end of one SOAP section
Well, to me the smart SOAP STC feels like a smart text editor
so there's no "fields" to cycle through. This concept lends
itself much better to Syan's implementation of multiple
textctrls (and it worked there, too). However, jumping would
still be nice so I suggested the Ctrl-Tab thingy.

The return/enter keys could start a new line / paragraph or might be separated in function so that one (the enter), instead of inputting a new paragraph character, serves to tell GnuMed "I have completed my input in this widget, please terminate the 'read' with whatever is the default operation e.g. 'Save'".

IMHO that doesn't sit well with the feeling of a text editor
that I get from the SOAP widget. Button shortcuts (ALT-O,
ALT-S) might do better here.
NB please:

I agree with Ian's comments for the following reasons many to do with functionality. I suspect the reason he feels this way is he has played with my program and knows how well if functions.

- This SOAP editor is an attempt to emultate the appearance and functionality of the edit-area(s), without the cumbersome nature of text boxes, hence gaining much screen real-estate space for extra use. For example the extra space can now be used for enhancements such as tool pallettes for diagram drawing etc. - By modifying a text editor we are moving on from that control to effectively create a new one with new properties - The features Ian describes of the function of the return/enter/tab keys enhances functionality. Having done much 'on the ground' computer tutition in doctors surgeries over the years, I've noted how many people work. The enter key is a particulary intuitive way to move to the next line, and in fact, if you think back to the early dos days it was usually used as such. Having implemented in my editing areas both the tab/enter key to move forward, I can tell you that for me (and I'd suggest most people), the speed of use of the control will be doubled by the simple use of default enter key presses. - I would also again plug for the use of enter to not just signify end of SOAP line etc, but to put a default separator character after the current input, a la documentation on the web for e.g the requests input area. ie FBC;ESR;MSU; If the enter key is pressed again after the last ; is automatically added by the system, it signifies to the editor to move to the next SOAP line (etc).
- remember that Ctrl-Tab (or any two key combination is harder to user).

Also, I don't think we need to wait for another version to add the in-line popup secondary editors - they should be easily implementable in the same way the phrase wheel pops up. At least I'd encourage ian to implement one (say recalls, but preferably script) so that other members can get the feel of how this would work.

Regards

Richard