Re: [Gnumed-devel] Can Any-Doc change database data

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Can Any-Doc change database data
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:54:34 +0200

> Occured to me that perhaps the reason I can't change the demographics is that
> any-doc may not be allowed. Seems stupid, however if this is the case it
> would be nice to know e.g a popup message saying - 'You do not have the
> rights to make changes to this database".
I'll think about that but it's not particularly easy to do
cleanly. The 7.4 (?) addition of structured error messages
hasn't permeated through to all the libraries yet.

On the subject matter, however, yes, any-doc CAN change the
database now -- IF any-doc requests a read-write connection
which it now can and which is done automatically in all the
right places barring any bugs. The one problem with this we
could still have is missing grants in the backend. The log
file will tell you about that (it doesn't *know* that it tells
you that but it does virtue of the error string gotten from
PostgreSQL - that's why it is not trivial to catch that in the
application).