[Gnumed-devel] Comments on the 2.5 Design criticisms

From: Richard Terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Comments on the 2.5 Design criticisms
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:58:05 +1100

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 03:21 am, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> Richard,
>
> I hate to have to say this but this new listbook design
> appears less polished and less integrated than your previous
> design.

If you sit the two side by side you will note the following. They are
IDENTICAL excepting for the listbooks control on the side which allows you to
change from one descrete section to another. IE this replaces the seemingly
random series of tabs which are on the bottom of the currrent gnumed, which
are not even grouped into logical sections.

In the screen dumps I provided - when you are in the clinical section you do
everything there - if you want to move outside of that by clicking on the
listbook icons you select another section - say the reference library, your
Inboxes etc.

> I mean, I have always respected the fact that your previous
> design always felt well-designed and fitting nicely together
> even if I didn't agree with it here or there. I have drawn lots
> of ideas from it. I haven't implemented it fully because it is
> fairly complicated to do right.

The problem see is that my original design has effectively been trashed. The
major components which make it workable (ie the tabbed control, the scratch
pad, the recall/reviews reminder control and all the buttons to allow you to
switch between sections have been removed from the design.

> However, this new design does not come particularly close to
> those qualities

Sorry to disagree but the new design is a huge leap in simplifying
functionality. It effectively does away with the need to be constantly
swapping the different editing area's to enter data. The whole place we work
at from day to day is the current problem data entry - here the SOAP control.
This central panel is the workhorse of this design. It can allow reviews of
old problems, creation of new problems, up front summary of what you have
done during the consultation.

> I mean, look at the wasted screen real estate
> in that "HTML navigation link" left-hand panel. If you want
> a HTML frontend then write one. Come on. This isn't you.

Please elaborate - I'm unsure what you mean by this - where is the html
navigation link? and why would I want to write a HTLM frontend? If you are
referring to the screen dump of the therapuetic guidelines - the Reference
section is where one could keep ones reference tomes - the list on the right
hand side of this contains the names eg guidelines, when you click on an item
on the list up pops the relevent information. Obviously this section is
nothing more than a combination of a web browser (hopefully at some stage
wxMozilla and a list control.

Try and look past the roughness of this - it is presented for conceptual
reasons. If you compare the total screen design from the clinical dump to any
of the screen dumps in www.gnumed.net/rterry/Index.htm then you will see they
are essentially identical - and identical to all the early gnuMed designs
prior to someone removing the critical components.