Re: address@hidden: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP input key behaviour design quest

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: address@hidden: [Gnumed-devel] SOAP input key behaviour design question]
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:16:07 +0100

> I am now taking your question relative to a single STC control which may be a
> single line or multiple lines. Hope that is correct.
Yes ! :-)

> TAB moves between STC controls, not within lines of STC controls of course.
OK, fine.

> The issue of down arrow is more problematic with multiple lines. The  inbuilt
> and logical behaviour is for it to do exactly what it does, ie, if one has
> entered several lines in an STC, then the up-arrow key or down arrow key
> moves one between these lines.
OK, fine.

> The question of whether it should also move you from the end of one STC
> control to the start of the next STC control is different.
Agree.

> This will be programatically implemented and personally I'd agree with you
> that reaching
> the arrow keys and using it to jump between lines is convenient.
What would you want me to put there for now: go to
next/previous widget or do nothing ?

> My only
> hesitency about that method of behaviour is that which I previously mentioned
> when I used the script as an example - ie using the down-arrow to make the
> pop-up lists appear.
We would still have the popup lists. Eg. after 300ms of
inactivity the list for the current term would pop up (just as
in the phrasewheel). Alternatively we could assign, say,
<CTRL-TAB> to force immediate appearance of the list.

Note that keyword popups (eg those that do not show a list for
selection but rather pop up an edit area relevant to the
current term (eg the keyword) are intended to appear
instantaneously without the 300ms delay. Is that OK ?

> I guess we need to debate this as a group.
Agree. Input please ! What do we use as the default for now ?

> My method
> works brilliantly in my program using single text boxes
And your method will still keep being used in the edit area
single line text boxes.

> Hope this helps, if not mail me back.
It does.

For your scrutiny I attach the current key press handling
code.

Thanks,