Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some Pythonic open source tools for epidemiology and

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Some Pythonic open source tools for epidemiology and public health
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:19:34 +0100

> The NetEpi Analysis
> (NEA) tool may be of particular interest to the GnuMed project, as it could
> be the
> basis for a population health analysis and reporting system for GnuMed data,
> either
> at the individual practice or clinic level
Apart from that that isn't our immediate goal you are
certainly right. The ways and algorithms you use to answer
certain epidemiological questions will sure be helpful
especially if they are written in Python.

>, or for pooled data at regional or national (or
> even international) level
Which isn't our intent at all *but* which we'd like to
*contribute data* to from within GnuMed.

> Please note that all the NetEpi code is licensed under a slightly modified
> version of
> the Mozilla Public License 1.1 (changed to make it suitable for Australian
> law).
> Unfortunately this means that NetEpi code cannot be directly copied into
> GPLed
> GnuMed modules (or v-v), but there is no barrier imposed by either license to
> GnuMed modules importing NetEpi Analysis modules at runtime and calling its
> API,
> or interfacing to it via other means such as RPCs - I have formal legal
> advice that
> such runtime importing or interfacing is perfectly OK (at least under
> Australian law).
Good to know !

1) What do we need to do to write a GnuMed plugin that can
   report data from a GnuMed system to some agency using
   NetEpi (apart from embedding a web browser, that is) ?

2) Any use case for Australia that would be immediately useful?

3) Anyone interested in working on that use case ?