Re: [Gnumed-devel] wiki update 2

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] wiki update 2
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:05:22 -0800

At 11:22 AM +0100 1/15/05, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> The NOSPAM thing is configurable. That is what I put. Have spammers
> looking for email addresses started to filter out this string?
Sure.

> Maybe we can put something else there.
Preferably something random.

True. At the twiki "obfuscate" page I referenced a coupla emails ago, they mentioned something along this line, though to pursue may take us away from the work more in need of doing:
SlashCode now supports auto-spamblocking, see http://slashdot.org/ for details about Slashcode 2.2 - they rotate the spam blocking algorithm every day, which may be a good idea although it's obviously more work

Would this help from http://www.rahji.com/spam.php3 :

Another way to write your email address in an HTML page in a way that might confuse robots but will look normal to humans is to replace the @ in your email address with an ampersand, followed by #64; (ie: ampersand-pound-six-four-semicolon). The browser will render it as an @ sign so it will look normal to readers of your web page. Try it.

they also mention
With very little perl knowledge you could write a script that converts email addresses on your page to the human-readable equivalents I described way at the top of this page:  jjx3 at rahji dot com
Start with these substitutions in perl: s/\./ dot /g; s/@/ at /g;

[Any] "mailto:" link[s can be encoded into] into hex. I don't know if it really fools many email-grabbing robots but I suspect it might since most of this kind of software is written by crappy programmers. To convert an email address to its hex equivalent, apply this perl substitution to it: s/(.)/ sprintf('%%%2x',ord($1)) /ge
This would make an address like address@hidden look like %6a%6a%78%33%40%72%61%68%6a%69%2e%63%6f%6d, which works perfectly fine as part of a "mailto:" link in any browser I've seen. Strange but true. If you find a browser that this doesn't work with, let me know.