[Gnumed-devel] Collating basic information on GNUmed DB structure

From: tealow
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Collating basic information on GNUmed DB structure
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:18:09 +0100

Hi everybody (especially Karsten),

as announced it will TRY to HELP DOCUMENTING. Concentrating on a specific topic
I will explore what is in the wiki, list, and other source + plus ask some
questions. Hopefully by doing this things will become a little clearer for me
(because right now I feel a little lost in the GNUmed documentation maze).

I will share the compiled doc in the wiki.

I want to start out with the reasoning behind the DB structure. Just in
principle and what it is able to record. For example as from what I have seen
most of the clinical information is stored as freetext. The only exception is
the diagnosis which can be coded too. Please correct me if I am wrong!

I took a look at the schema generated by autodoc. Have you ever tried to
display the graphical output? IMHO diagrams make it a lot easier to understand
the relationships between the tables.

I think the DIA and/Or DOT output files should be at least downloadable. I know
that the GNUmed schema is pretty big and the automatically produced images
(like from a webdot server) might look crappy.
Have you ever investigated webdot? I have read that the DIA diagrams have the
problem that all the tables are stacked on each other. But for manuall
exploration it would still be helpful.
Maybe I can take some subparts from the DIA scheme support some key concepts in
my summary.

Please let me know if you know about any floating informaton pieces about the
the DB like
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/*checkout*/gnumed/gnumed/gnumed/client/doc/developer-manual/db-architecture.html
 .
Please also tell me how up-to-date the information is.

-thilo